Nunney

 

The Parish of Nunney lies to the south-west of Frome and also borders Marston Bigot, Witham Friary, Cloford, Downhead and Whatley. It was an important centre in its own right, as the ruins of the castle still testify. Anthony Windrum has written a history of Nunney. Further information can be found on GenUKI.

 

Peter Hillier and Michael Sprackling have Nunney ancestry and have done sterling work in transcribing the often obscure parish registers.

 

Below are transcripts of primary sources for the family history of its inhabitants.

 

File

Description

Last updated

Parish registers

Extracts from Baptisms, Marriages, Burials and Memorial Inscriptions

31 Dec 2001

Baptisms at All Saints, Nunney

A full transcript, 1813-59, by Peter Hillier

4 Jun 2006

Baptisms at All Saints, Nunney

A full transcript, 1859-1901, by Peter Hillier

2 Jun 2006

Baptisms at All Saints, Nunney

Extracts, 1859-1901, by Michael Sprackling

3 Jun 2006

Marriages at All Saints, Nunney

A complete index, 1703-1901

20 May 2002

Marriages at All Saints, Nunney, Books 1 & 2

A full transcript of Marriages, 1593-1755

1 Jun 2006

Marriages at All Saints, Nunney, Book 3

A full transcript of Marriages, 1755-1812

1 Jun 2006

Marriages at All Saints, Nunney, Book 4

A full transcript of Marriages, 1813-37

21 May 2006

Marriages at All Saints, Nunney, Book 5

A full transcript of Marriages, 1837-98

21 May 2006

Tithe Apportionments, 1840

A table of landowners and their tenants

18 Feb 2006

Village History index

Names in "Somerset Standard Village Histories: Nunney”

27 Jun 2002

History of Nunney, 1887

A transcript of the Somerset Standard pamphlet, annotated by an early C20 resident

22 Jun 2002